Call Us:
8197 0105

What’s makes Streeterlaw Sydney lawyers unique?

The most important thing you should know about your team of lawyers and legal staff is that we care.

Back to FAQs

When can child custody be filed for or decided?

In divorce and separation, parents often wonder what they need to do before commencing Court proceedings in respect of children and child custody.

Prior to filing an application for parenting orders in the Federal Magistrates Court of Australia or the Family Court of Australia, it is necessary to comply with the pre-action procedures pursuant to the Family Law Rules. This involves participating in dispute resolution services such as Family Counselling, Negotiation, Conciliation or Arbitration.

There are exceptions regarding pre-action procedures for cases involving urgency, allegations of child abuse or risk of abuse, involving allegations of family violence or risk of family violence, where one party refuses to negotiate or where there is an existing application before the Court in the 12 months immediately prior to filing.

Found this article useful? Feel free to share it!

Frequently Asked Questions


Family Law FAQs

Commercial Dispute Resolution FAQs

Debt Recovery FAQs

Disputed Guardianship and Wills FAQs

Family Law Articles

Commercial Litigation Articles


Ask a Question 1 Ask a Question1
Newsletter Sign-up Newsletter Sign-up
Contact Us Contact Us
Ask a Question Ask a Question
Newsletter Sign-up Newsletter Sign-up
Contact Us Contact Us

Need help with resolving or preventing a dispute?

Request a call with one of our experienced solicitors now!

* Required