Call Us:
8197 0105

What’s makes Streeterlaw Sydney lawyers unique?

The most important thing you should know about your team of lawyers and legal staff is that we care.

Back to FAQs

Can the Court refuse a parent unsupervised time with their child?

Yes. An issue often raised in disputed children’s cases is whether or not there is an “unacceptable risk of abuse” to the child if time the child spends with one of the parents is not supervised. This language comes from the High Court Decision M v M. In that respect, it mirrors the language of the legislation Section 60CC(2)(b).  Behaviours that have been found to constitute unacceptable risk include history of physical abuse, illicit drug or abuse of prescription medication, sexual abuse.

It must be demonstrated, on the facts and evidence before the Court, that accumulatively and collectively there is an unacceptable risk of abuse of the child to have unsupervised time with the specified parent or individual.

The Court starts with an acknowledgment and recognition that abuse of children (both sexual and physical) does occur in the community. The Courts, however, approach these allegations with a heightened vigilance on the basis that:

·         Not all allegations of abuse are true.

·         False allegations may be made by either parents acting in good faith or as a result of

misinterpretatation of information.

·         Sometimes (and hopefully rarely) parents deliberately fabricate allegations.

The Courts balance the risk of harm to the child having contact with the benefits of that contact. In each case the evidence is meticulously examined by the Court.

See Family Law case examples on the Family Law blogsite

Found this article useful? Feel free to share it!

Frequently Asked Questions


Family Law FAQs

Commercial Dispute Resolution FAQs

Debt Recovery FAQs

Disputed Guardianship and Wills FAQs

Family Law Articles

Commercial Litigation Articles


Ask a Question 1 Ask a Question1
Newsletter Sign-up Newsletter Sign-up
Contact Us Contact Us
Ask a Question Ask a Question
Newsletter Sign-up Newsletter Sign-up
Contact Us Contact Us

Need help with resolving or preventing a dispute?

Request a call with one of our experienced solicitors now!

* Required