Call Us:
8197 0105

What’s makes Streeterlaw Sydney lawyers unique?

The most important thing you should know about your team of lawyers and legal staff is that we care.

Back to FAQs

What is family violence or domestic violence?

Family violence is any physical violence, threats, emotional and psychological abuse and includes damaging property. Violent behaviour is unlawful and in addition to protections and the family law, there may be protections given under the criminal regime.

If you are subject to, or a party to family violence, call the police – 000.

The police have the power to arrest the offender and search for and remove weapons.  If the offender has a gun (or owns a gun), the police may remove it. The offender may be charged with a criminal offence and the police may apply for an apprehended domestic violence order on your behalf.
If the police do not make an application for a court order, you may approach the duty magistrate or the registrar at your Local Court to assist you in making an application.

As an adult, you may apply for an order that protects you and/or your children from family violence. The first instance should be the Domestic Violence Liaison Officer at your local police station.

Found this article useful? Feel free to share it!

Frequently Asked Questions


Family Law FAQs

Commercial Dispute Resolution FAQs

Debt Recovery FAQs

Disputed Guardianship and Wills FAQs

Family Law Articles

Commercial Litigation Articles


Ask a Question 1 Ask a Question1
Newsletter Sign-up Newsletter Sign-up
Contact Us Contact Us
Ask a Question Ask a Question
Newsletter Sign-up Newsletter Sign-up
Contact Us Contact Us

Need help with resolving or preventing a dispute?

Request a call with one of our experienced solicitors now!

* Required